This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

A fifth P – parameters?

pjtaylor

The roundtable with Mitch, Natalie, and Phillip was a great introduction to the 4P's -- especially when they had to tinker to get the orientation of the spiral right for the video. I am wondering however if they are overlooking a fifth P that is implicit in what they have done with Logo, Scratch, Turtle, Computer clubs and what they propose when they speak of creative learning requiring Projects, involving real-world materials, and not simply problem-solving. This fifth P would be Parameters -- the rules of the microworlds that allow, but also constrain, the Play. A post during last year's LCL explored "the different kinds of creativity that are experienced in relation to the structure and boundaries [parameters] of the different spaces of learning and action," http://wp.me/p1gwfa-uU

This thought also raises a meta-issue: How does one engage constructively with someone who is taking something for granted that you think could be brought into play? When a group of peers are passionate about the projects they are involved in, they tend not to take up suggestions about breaking out of the implicit parameters. (My current thinking about creativity that speaks, albeit indirectly, to this meta-issue is given in a December post at http://wp.me/p1gwfa-yJ ).

Kerrick

I find this useful in thinking about creating contexts for creative learning at my institution. Parameters can be enabling as well as restricting. For example we have a light lab where learners can put many different objects onto projection surfaces to play with shape, color, patterns, light and shadow. I find that both young and adult learners can benefit from starting with a clear surface or only a few objects on the projector, and try experimenting with only one kind of object at first, adding new ones later. Adults in particular benefit from starting with a question prompt such as "Can you find a way to fill the room with one color?" or "What happens when you layer different patterns?" or "How many different ways can you find to mix colors?" After starting with the question prompt they often take a new and interesting tangent that leads them to think differently and experiment with the objects in a new way. Without the question prompts I find adults often don't know where to start and sometimes don't try anything at all.

Thinking about the parameters of the learning experience, both explicit and implicit, seems necessary and valuable.

Teryl

There seem to be implicit rules and parameters that I am becoming more aware of between those who took the MOOC last year to those like me, coming in and having to figure out what is taken for granted. How do you deal with invisible fences respectfully? I am not as much into the breaking rules side of creativity.

Kerrick

Hi, Teryl, I signed up for the MOOC last year but didn't actually get my time organized to follow through, so I feel like a newbie as well. We're all experimenting here—I just try things out and trust that if I'm making a mistake, people will give me feedback and I'll be able to take it.

If you've ever heard of the language-learning game "Where Are Your Keys?", one of the "rules" is called "How FAAAASCINATING!" which means if you make a mistake or you're feeling in over your head, rather than getting worried about it, take the attitude that it's all very interesting! That way everyone has more fun.

Teryl

smile What a fun contradiction to say "How fascinating" when in the midst of chaos--being very Spock-like when it's not at all logical. Thanks for the "key" point--having fun. Live long and prosper!