This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Blog Post re: “Introducing Coding to Young Children”

clm

I thought some of you might enjoy the blog post I just wrote sharing resources and insights from the webinar I participated in today via the Erikson Institute: "Seeing Into the Future: Introducing Coding to Young Children"

Read more here: http://lovelivethequestions.tumblr.com/post/85552691167/fledgling-coders-programming-goes-to-preschool

My blog password is "rilke"

Hope everyone is doing well!

Vivian

@clm Thanks for the great blog post. It's a great summary about what you learned and the developmental research of Judd. Have you thought about taking off the blog password, so your blog post can be shared more widely? smile

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/05/12/teaching-code-in-the-classroom/teach-coding-as-early-as-possible I just finished reading this article. The article believes in teaching coding as early as possible too. I found more interesting the comments in the discussion thread underneath. People express their reservations and some of the reservations I also share.

Thanks for Judd's 5 elements. I've been looking for a list like this for a long time. I want to know the foundational concepts in order to make connections to what I already know and what the children already know. It's comforting to know that we can talk about the foundational coding concepts in terms of the physical world and that is perfectly fine. Not everything about computational thinking, coding, programming has to be done on a computer screen.

I need to do a research paper soon (for my M.S.) and I would like to do it on integrating Coding in the Elementary School and how it might fit in a Inquiry framework. I've bookmarked your blogpost for this and will look at Judd further.

Thanks for sharing.

Vivian

clm

Thanks so much for your reply, Vivian. I've responded on the blog. Yes, I will give some thought to un-passwording the blog. I appreciate that suggestion. In the meantime, you (and anyone in this class) are very welcome to share the site and password with others you know.

Good luck with your paper!