This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

LOGO floor robots

debashman

After reading Gears of my Childhood I realized it is time that I read the Mindstorms: Children, Computers, And Powerful Ideas. As I read the book I am noticing a lot of my teaching has been taking the new materials and teaching in the same way. If anyone is using floor logo robots (bee-bot, pro-bot, or similar) I would be interested in some of the ways that you use them in your class and some of the prompts you use with your class.

Thank you

Sandy

I am using Bee-Bots with my kindergarten. I just bought 4 of them last month. So far I have done some very basic lessons with them. We have programmed them to go to a flower and back to their hive.(I used the mat with graphics) I have teamed them up to race them. One person from the team rolls the dice, the other programs the Bee-Bot. Even numbers they go forward by the number on the dice, odd numbers they go backwards. Here a link to my website that I posted a video of my kiddos using them. Looking to do more with them as well. I heard that there is an app for iPads as well but I do not have iPads in my lab. Hoping that some more LCL2 can add to this conversation, I too could use some prompts.

huttnerk

Thank you for this share. I didn't even know this existed. I have a feeling I will be spending some time on your website. Thank you for the wonderful resources for our younger students.

debashman

Hi Sandy,

I think we met at CCOW last summer thanks so much sandy your page is helpful I will be using this to try to convince my school we can introduce younger kids to tech. I can't believe you get the kids to use the bee-bots on the same mat at the same time 🐢

Sandy

The first time I try to introduce my kindergarteners to the Bee-Bots, I tried it with a class of 24 students all it once, as you can imagine it was organized chaos! So I quickly adjusted my plan for the next class and pulled them 4 at time to play on the Mat and 8 at time for the race. I guess after the experience of 24 kids to 4 Bee-Bots, they where more then cooperative on the mat. Yes, I did take the CCOW last summer, I think there are quite a few CCOWers taking this course as well. I really enjoyed the CCOW community last summer and I looks like the LCL community will be just as rewarding.

sdhesketh

Can you use Scratch to program one of these robots? It would be much more interesting making a robot move! And how can we get these robots in Hong Kong?

James_B

I know you can use Scratch to control Lego WeDo and I think PicoBoards can work with Scratch, too. I don't have experience with this myself and don't know how LOGO floor robots fit in here. That would be very interesting, though!

sdhesketh

Yes I hope I can get some of these robots for my students in Hong Kong! I was just watching the Ted talk The new bionics that let us run, climb and dance This is how kids will start to learn to build the future bionics!

melissa

Hi, I'm not a teacher but I'm conducting some robotics laboratories. At the moment I'm making an experience with the bee bots in a kindergarten. We are exploring the water cycle. After some meeting used to discover the object I told them the story of Drippy (http://www.drippytheraindrop.com/DrippysWorldTrial/entry.htm). I composed the story like a puzzle, to have at the end the design of the water cycle on the floor, and then I put on the mat the salient immages of the story (evaporation, rain, etc) and I ask the children to tell the story to the bee. I'm working with group of 10 to 12 children and with 4 bee bots and 4 mats for every group. I'm enthusiastic of this experience. Children are very engaged in the lab and very happy to play with me and with the bees.