This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Makerspace Launch & Invitation to Join #CLMOOC!

mzamora

The Kean University Writing Project is a non-profit organization, a site of the National Writing Project, the largest professional development provider for teachers across the U.S. and the longest lasting PD provider of all organizations existing in the world. Since 1974 the NWP has directly impacted the writing instruction of over 1,000,000 students. The Kean University Writing Project has garnered national attention due to it’s particular commitment to digital literacy and 21st century writing skills in the state of New Jersey. The natural progression of this commitment is our MakerSpace. Our work in writing process and pedagogy will be enhanced with “Maker” & “Do-It-Yourself” methodology through the use of computers, technology, science, digital and electronic art. The mission of the KUWP MakerSpace is to ensure every person is an accomplished writer, engaged learner, and active participant in a digital, interconnected world.

The KUWP MakerSpace will provide a home to all Kean University students and professors who are interested in transforming the art of writing and designing. The space will inspire interdisciplinary and project-based learning (i.e. We will collaborate with colleagues in the Education Department, Computer Science, STEM, Art & Design, Theater, Environmental Sciences). The KUWP MakerSpace will also serve as an important outreach hub for the University. We will continue to work with our diverse partnerships which include many school districts throughout the state of NJ. Since the KUWP works with teachers and students in the K-16 population all year round, the MakerSpace will be both a university and community resource.

Our MakerSpace will be an inspired educational space for individuals who learn best by doing. We are thrilled to engage in this iteration of our on-going work and hope to share our activities though our open networks.

***An open invitation to all LCL2 colleagues:

Please watch for The Summer of Making & Connecting and the #CLMOOC (Connected Learning Massive Open Online Collaboration) coming up in June.

I will be a leading a "Make Cycle" for this wonderful "alternative MOOC". #CLMOOC stands for "Connected Learning Massive Open Online Collaboration". #CLMOOC is run by the National Writing Project in conjunction with the "Summer of Making and Connecting". The "Make Cycle" week that I will be facilitating will be entitled "Hack Your Writing". Please consider joining us online to tinker this summer!!

For more information please contact Dr. Mia Zamora at mzamora@kean.edu or Erica Holan at kuwp@kean.edu.

Teryl

1Your "MakeCycle" sounds great. Best wishes for success and great stories to share there

Scratch is an interesting storyteller and this is one way I used Scratch to write stories. (It uses a random remix of your answers to generate something new.)
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/13183720/

mzamora

This is a very interesting use of Scratch. I teach a "Writing Electronic Literature" course, and I was thinking of using Scratch as a forum for "Interactive Fiction" or "Generative Fiction". It seems you have a great example of this here.
Thanks for sharing!!
Best,
Mia