This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Peers Activities

natalie

What are you interested in exploring with some other LCL peers this week?

Find a topic > If you have an idea to discuss or explore together, create a new topic (or use the "reply as a new topic" link on the right). Or check out the list of topics that others created and join one. Groups could engage around a question, challenge, issue, tool, project, or activity.

Join a team > We suggest just joining one (or at most two) groups. All the discussion could happen here in the forums, or you can arrange a Google Hangout or other way to connect. There is no explicit way of "joining" (although we welcome photos of group tattoos).

Get started > Once you have found a topic and a group, just jump right in, introduce yourselves to each other, and start digging into the topic. It could be that each person in the group has different goals, or you want to collaborate on one project together.

Watch the video description of this week's activity for a little more detail:

natalie

What idea would you like to explore? Brainstorm here, or if you have an idea for a group, reply as a new topic (or create a new topic in the Peers category).

lindsay_welch

Here are some of the things we have discussed in group 1: P2P learning with children, P2P in children vs. adults, EdCamps, Scratch, digital learning course design, reimagining classroom spaces.

thomaspitre

My friend needs to learn how to operate a riding mower. She is a 60+ year old woman with a large, country lot. Mowers can cut off fingers and toes, so I have to be a prudent trainer. Also, my web host does not support FrontPage extensions, so I need to learn an alternate HTML editor. J. (my friend), knows Dreamweaver, and has agreed to give me some help, both live and with email support. How's this sound to you?

I ascribe to my twenty-two P’s of training: Practice, painless, palatable, prudent, professional, pictorial, patient, practical, paced, parallel, passionate, perceptive, pertinent, pervasive, philosophic, physical, playful, polished, positive, potent, precise, and the particular. This list is a working list.

waciuma

Another idea for a PLN from our Unhangout:
How do we allow adults and students to work together and redefine our learning spaces.

clm

I'm very interested in what peer to peer learning looks like in children, including young children (preschool-early elementary) and older kids.

I also love the idea of exploring intergenerational peer to peer learning. We talked about this in our Google Hangout briefly, when a medical educator was lamenting the challenges of "unteaching" certain fixed ways of thinking in doctors. I love the notion of harnessing both the freshness and openness of children's perspectives and the wisdom and experience of adult learners to see what emerges. In some ways, this is the essence of family learning. But, it also holds potential to extend beyond families to unrelated groups of people of different ages. Of course, children also bring unique experience and knowledge. So, it overlaps with the idea of reverse mentoring (for instance, when young people share skills and knowledge with older people e.g., computing skills, environmental insights, etc.).

AyaJennifer

Hi Cathy! I'm so glad you're continuing your breakout discussion onto the forum. There were so many rich ideas in our group. The Medical educator's example really stuck to me too. Do you remember what his name was? I'd love to invite him to join this discussion.

booleantwist

A list of topics from our Hangout:

EDCamps –> How do we start them? How do we share the concept with others? How do we find the leaders to get things going? What are good venues to host them?

Educational Tech –> How do adapt ed tech to use creative learning models. It was suggested that kids play a role in determining what the content of the class would be (interest level). Another person suggested then to, later on, have the kids reflect and evaluate the choices they made; suggest improvements, with emergent ideas with value carrying over to next session.

Scratch is great, but why? –> Discussed recent adoptions of Scratch by teachers. One teacher from Mumbai noted that the teacher was learning how to use it at the same time as the students; Some students appreciate that. The most engaged worked on projects at home to share back at school. We also observed that "Scratch" like models are now growing in popularity. Behavior Driven Development and other forms of "non-traditional" ways to program a computer. It is cool to make a game visually; with behavior blocks versus using an old language and taking a week.

Resistance to New Ideas –> A healthcare professional shared an interest in Peer to Peer learning in Adults. But he noticed that many are, "set in their ways" or not open to new ideas or models. I experienced this with our towns first Entrepreneurship Unconference. Nobody in my town knew what the words meant: unconference, barcamp, etc. If they think it is just one company or organizations idea, they are very skeptical. If however, you demonstrate that these are just words to describe a much wider movement of self-organization and self-assembly; pointing to the 1,000 of other communities that use them. Then the old attitudes shift and enlightenment occurs.
The take away could be: demonstrate, don't persuade.

List of links and ideas shared:

The hero's journey (or monomyth) is a universal story structure explored by anthropologists and mythologists such as Otto Rank and Joseph Campbell.

Example of Scratch like learning
http://learn.code.org/s/6/level/148

http://cukes.info/

http://edcamp.wikispaces.com/
http://edcamp.org/

http://makeict.org/
http://www.exploration.org/teachers.html

http://dschool.stanford.edu/our-point-of-view/

"DIY is the best way for kids to get skills, meet others who share the same passions, and generally be awesome. Every member has their own portfolio where they share what they make and do, and earn embroidered skill patches for completing sets of challenges."
https://diy.org/about

Thanks to all of those participating in unHangout room #1 smile

clm

Hi Aya,
Thanks for writing. No, I don't remember his name. I searched the intros from week 1, but couldn't find him. Hopefully, he'll stumble across this and join us if he's interested. Hope to talk more with you.
Cathy

booleantwist

Thanks Cathy. I also posted a summary of our hangout. Exploring "intergenerational peer to peer learning." looks like a large / interesting topic

booleantwist

Ideas in action...

In Kansas our legislature recently passed a school funding bill. One version of the bill tried to remove "due process". The KNEA (teaching union), of course did not like this, and our statehouse was flooded with teachers / citizens until 4am. I mention this story because Facebook has exploded with discussion of this event. Some of these conversations have shifted to, "What can we do to improve participation in XYZ for education...?"

I decided to follow these FB threads and post challenges to all teachers to start the first EdCamp in Kansas. Shared the links and video overview for EdCamps.

Thanks for the inspiration smile

Marcel

edCamps — I've got some more research to do!

Sadly, there's nothing on the map for the UK. Come on GB!

debbyj18

I started an edcamp in San Francisco held last October. We're running a 2nd one next month! It takes a few passionate people willing to spend a little bit of time to find a venue, pick a date, and broadcast to educators in your freater community. Lots of resources available online to use, adapt, learn from. Lots of people willing to help you get an edcamp started in your community! I'm happy to help smile

AyaJennifer

How about starting your own EdCamp? You can use the "Meet" category to find other LCL people in the UK smile

Marcel

Eek! I don't think I'm ready, or even positioned for that! I'll not say 'never' but that's a mite beyond me at the moment.

My dig at the UK's apparent lack in this field is one thing but I'm based in Guernsey — an island in the English Channel of just 60k people.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've got a lot more learning to do about it yet!

AyaJennifer

Let us know when you do! You have a whole community of learners to support you here!

maperez324

Me interesa charlar con personas de habla castellana para analizar ideas para desarrollar proyectos con arduinos y S4A. Mi objetivo es explrar ideas educativas para construir ambiuentes de aprendizaje aptos para el desarrollo de habilidades cognitivas y metacognitivas en niños y adolescentes.

I looking to meetup with teachers who are interested in develop learning environments using Scratch for Arduino. I am interested in use it for reasoning skills development

maperez324

I have an experience using Peeragoy ideas and Scratch to develop cognitive and metacognitive skills. Here is the paper entry in the Peeragogy Handbook Hopoe somebody is interested in work with me about SWAT peeragogy in the classroom.

mpoole32

Assuming you use gmail, you may find this list of hangout participants there. Look under the label Chat.

Paging @anthony_back

waciuma

Miguel,
I think the conversation Scratch: How do we facilitate students enhancing skills? needs your voice! There are a handful of us that have posted questions we want to explore with the peer assignment this week (and probably beyond). There's a variety of experience, some having already taught multiple units using Scratch. We haven't talked about S4A yet, but it's a topic I find fascinating. Join in!

geraldiux64

Hola!Disculpa mi ignorancia pero qué es Arduino y S4?

geraldiux64

Hola!Al leer tu artículo en el caso se México la realidad es que pocos son los maestros que están capacitados en la utilización de la TIC´s sobretodo en colegios federales-del gobierno la insfraestructura fuerte está en escuelas privadas y los maestros necesitan capacitarse en el uso de tecnologías.
Scratch sería excelente que se utilizará en niveles de kinder hasta bachillerato.

GeoMouldey

Timezones mean I don't get to join the Video discussions from NZ but love the idea of a group focusing on reimagining classroom spaces

1L2P

You can change that. Come on Marcel! smile

Norfolkboy

Marcel, in the UK EdCamps are called TeachMeets - which may be why you cannot see them but they are there, just under a different name.

Teryl

I tried to think of a topic, but wondered if I could offer to team with someone on theirs. What if you just wanted someone with a different perspective to create something together in an hour hangout or a google doc during one day--sort of Creative Tennis, serve and volley cooperatively? I've done some creativity workshops, can adapt to styles relatively well and have a wide range of knowledge as a teacher and fiction writer. Thanks for considering the idea smile

thomaspitre

My assignment for 4, Learning with Peers is posted on Slideshare at:

Assignment 4a from tpitre

sduncan

I'd like to find out more about Edcamp in SF. I'm a tech integrator at a school in the Mission!

kristenswanson

Teachmeets are similar to Edcamps but not exactly the same. Same concept, though!

AyaJennifer

I'd love to hear more about the creativity workshops you've done! smile

Teryl

Dear AyaJennifer
Thanks for asking because you have some great topics and creative ideas going with online/offline playfulness and connectivity. The first workshop I did was general--I had some brainstorming but then they had to connect their ideas 3 D with their index cards and popsicle sticks--some looked like math equations (linear--I called it 'idea math'), some like molecules (single/double bonding), one was a ladder, one like a fort with layers (which also looked like a campfire from afar), etc--they had to explain their shapes and connections which was really interesting. We also did a cool activity in which I ask them to put play money on items that were creative in the room to see what they valued (some were such neat choices like a locked door and closed brown bag--one because they knew what was inside/one not). Then last summer I had a set of three specific workshops that were not about coming up with ideas, but the creativity needed to execute them (again activity based, but this time they helped choose or create the activities together). So in the workshop for writers we dealt with fear of sharing writing and the routine needed to finish what was started. In the workshop for teachers of adults, we worked on how to make deeper connections (people don't commit like they used to as far as rigor and attendance). Then the third one was for leaders, that one was about a variety of problems like starting something new, sustaining a current ministry and reviving a women's group. This last workshop I really liked because we had such diversity in the problems and that helped with mutual encouragement and freeing of off the wall ideas. Sometimes when you have everyone together dealing with a similar problem, it is a group think of solutions--I liked the dynamic of having different problems because then the focus is on learning more and not just on the problem solving. I hope that helps and isn't too much info. But creativity is a passion and getting people to see their own creativity is so cool! Best with your projects--how are they coming along?

kristenswanson

Hi everyone!

For my assignment this week, I wanted to find some new tools to increase the nonverbal cues in the asynchronous grad course I'm teaching. So... I found Sasha Oster. She's a teacher in Northern California who knows just about every Chrome extension in existence. We got together at Edcamp Sonoma on Saturday and she shared a ton of really helpful stuff with me. (Movenote and Kaizena here I come!!!!) Now I'm going to be able to create different interactions in my course using these tools. The goal is to increase nonverbal exchange as a vehicle to build tighter relationships... We'll see. wink

It was great coming together of colleagues for sure!

kristenswanson

For those of you in this thread that are interested in Edcamps... I'm hosting a virtual panel of Edcamp Organizers on Wednesday, 4/16.

You can sign up here: https://www.smore.com/h1qbn-edcamp-organizer-hangout-on-air

Hope to see you there for some peer learning!

artyowza

Hi Makers!

I’d love to create a peer-learning group on the topics of

° Heroes Journey

° Game design

° Adventure Design

° Transmedia Storytelling

° Arts Integration

° Action, Project or Connected Learning

° Cross Generational Mentorship

About Me

My name is Rebecca Stees. I’m the founder of Art Yowza, established 2004. I teach creative confidence through the heroes journey.

I’ve realized what my young art campers need if they want to make important contributions in the world is entrepreneurial skills.

This is the first year I’m adding a transmedia game layer on top of my summer camp.

I can see a lot of applications for adventure design in education.

I’m excited and scared as I’m going through my own heroes journey to change my camp to bring this new awareness alive.

> My creative learning goals are
  1. Create value
  2. Learn something new
  3. Have a good time

*I’d appreciate feedback from like-minded folk.
Also, I’m happy to contribute to other creative learning adventure games.*

Looking forward to connecting with you!
Rebecca Stees

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Here’s more about my project

What:
Art Yowza Heroes Journey: A Transmedia Game

Where:
Art Yowza Camp (Alameda, CA)

When:
Summer 2014

Who:
Rebecca Stees
Campers, ages 5-11
Middle school helpers
College intern,
Game design
Volunteer,
Mentors

Integrates

• Arts integration

• 21st Century Storytelling

• Adventure Game Design

• Parent Engagement

• Community Involvement

Emphasizes

• Art, life, 21st century and entrepreneurial skills

• New Mentors, Challenges, and Knowledge

• Heroes Journey = creating value

• Fun creative learning!

Inspiration

“No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.”
– Lewis Carroll

“The question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure”
– Joseph Campbell

“The stories make you who you are. We build ourselves.”
– Brandon Sanderson

Technology

Want to learn about Conducttr?
https://www.udemy.com/conducttr

Tag words

transmedia

storytelling

adventure design

conducttr

gamedesign

entrepreneurship

projectdesign

newbizdesign

socialinnovation

personalleadership

designthinking

empathy

prototype

creativeconfidence

fun

buildit

heroesjourney

mentors

challenges

purpose

meaning

mentoring

careerlaunch

makeawish

socialenterprise

giveback

growthmindset

artsintegration

wholechild

art

summercamp

ages5-11

artyowza

connectedlearning

Is this you? …… Let’s play!

1. Creative action powers you up
  2. Community and purpose. Oh my!
  3. Stories are your lifeblood
  4. You want to pay it forward
Teryl

As part of the peer portion of the MOOC assignment, I've had the joy of meeting with some of you online in a hangout. What's neat is how it changes each week and how much humor we can find as well as deep discussion in each hour. This has been so meaningful and it gets intriguing when some non-MOOC participants join in just because of the topic. I'm glad for the leadership and challenges, it has been anything but predictable each week!
As far as a peer collaboration in my hometown to report, a few days ago I just had a skit I'd written performed by a group that met only three times--twice right before performing. Because of schedules, we had to allow musicians to practice on their own, props to be designed and brought in trusting we communicated what we wanted. Our sound system check was only once and so this collaboration was a jigsaw--describe the general idea and let the experts interpret and create from there. It was great to be a director that actually had each member of team co-direct and change things along the way--sometimes lines and blocking so that this quick production was efficient and details were handled in the best way possible. I learned I can't think of everything or be in control. It is wonderful learning from peers how to work together and "go with the flow" sometimes to something better. I get a lot out of plays in which the lines are heard over and over, but this time, with hearing the music and seeing the completed set for the first time just like the audience, it was a unique and special experience. Sometimes peer collaboration in short term bursts is meaningful too.

maperez324

Ok I will take a good look of "Scratch: How do we facilitate students enhancing skills" (an I will participate for sure)

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

maperez324

Ah, pues Arduino es una marca de electrónicos para hacer circuitos y sistemas. Hay una versión de Scratch para Arduino que acabo de empezar a usar para desarrollo de habilidades con niños y jóivenes.

Arduino is n italian brand of electronics. And I hava a version of Scartch for Arduino who I am begin to use with kids for skills development.

maperez324

Arduino and Scratch conecction http://s4a.cat/

Grif

What are you interested in exploring with some of your LCL peers? We'll be hosting a live conversations via Unhangout on Thursday January 15, 2015 to facilitate small group discussions around issues of mutual interest. If you can't join us for the live event, then follow the instructions below to beginning building your own peer network on LCL.

Find a topic > If you have an idea to discuss or explore together, create a new topic (or use the "reply as a new topic" link on the right). Or check out the list of topics that others created and join one. Groups could engage around a question, challenge, issue, tool, project, or activity.

Join a team > We suggest just joining one (or at most two) groups. All the discussion could happen here in the forums, or you can arrange a Google Hangout or other way to connect. There is no explicit way of "joining" (although we welcome photos of group tattoos).

Get started > Once you have found a topic and a group, just jump right in, introduce yourselves to each other, and start digging into the topic. It could be that each person in the group has different goals, or you want to collaborate on one project together.

Watch the video description of this week's activity for a little more detail: