This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Picocrickets - Where are they?

hurleye1991

What happened to picocrickets? Why were they discontinued?

natalie

The main reason that the Picocrickets were discontinued was that our colleagues who were producing them (at Playful Invention Company) are actually developers, and needed to shift back to development and design work. They shifted to work on the design of the LEGO WeDo, ScratchJr, and now are helping to plan the tablet version of Scratch, too, among other work.

So, the closest thing now is the LEGO WeDo with Scratch. Wondering what your experience has been with Picocrickets and/or LEGO WeDo?

bkahn

I do not know if this is the same board in the PicoCrickets or not, but you can find a PicoBoard at SparkFun. It's a shame it was discontinued. I was looking forward to buying a few kits.

hurleye1991

Thanks! I will check out LEGO WeDo.

natalie

In case you haven't seen it yet, @heloisazal shared a colorful post about her first tinkering with LEGO WeDo.

And just to add, the PicoBoard is different from PicoCrickets. The PicoBoard is still being made by Sparkfun (as @bkahn mentioned). It lets you connect a variety of sensors to your Scratch projects. Right now PicoBoards only work with the previous version of Scratch (1.4), but there soon will be an easy way to connect them to the current version of Scratch (2.0).