This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Student partnering in lesson planning/execution?

xcriteria

Over in the thread Creative Learning for those unhappy in “school-as-usual”, we got into the topic of conversations with teachers about doing things differently. I imagine that's why a lot of people are taking this course. smile

So, I'm wondering what you all think about the prospect of collaborating with students on lesson planning and execution... or even (where possible) deciding upon curriculum. Do you see this as possible? Might it actually save time, or do you see it as complicated or not worth it?

Either way, thoughts on why and how?

Or, have any of you tried this before? I'm interested in any related stories.

James_B

@xcriteria

I value appropriate time-savings methods, but I feel like some instances could require more time and effort.

This may tie in a great deal with week 4 (peers). I see the most value out of deeper and more enhanced learning experiences for the learner helping to plan their own lesson or a lesson for them and their peers.

Does that make sense? What do you think? If some or all learners in a class were able to gain more critical and creative understanding of a topic through helping to plan lessons but it took more time and effort as a teacher, would you invest in it?

robcat

@xcriteria Thanks for this post. I'm trying this approach indeed. I frequently call on my students asking for suggestions, collaboration and sharing views. I try to aim at broadening participation.

I think this is one of the best ways to increase a sense of belonging to a learning community.

geraldiux64

Hi! students´needs are really important and working together