This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

What is the essence of creativity?

skola2015

I´ve been reflecting around Creativity, consider myself as a kind of creative person. It confuses me, it´s so slippery.
In the late -80 early -90 Dr. Matti Bergstrom, Prof. Em. of Physiology, Finland told us that the children have to be wild and playing around a lot. To much "knowledgepressure" affected their brains creativity. Yeah, that´s for me... smile

If you are creative you must know a lot first, said another cognitive researcher. Fair enough... (ex. improvisation in Jazzmusic).

But the kids in kindergarten couldn´t be abel to know a lot, but are really creative (or is it "only" imagination).

So, now when I have creativityexperts from all around the world; What is the essence of creativity?
I´m confused... please confuse me on a higher level. What the heck is creativity?

CyberParra

For me, creativity arises everytime the genius inside you wins the fight against the dinosaur that also lives inside you smile

mpoole32

@skola2015 Creativity is not so much about the quantity of what you know. Creativity is how a person takes a piece of knowledge they have already made a part of them, and remixes that piece with something new to create a different outcome. Kids younger than 3rd grade age appear to be more creative than adults because they live in a creative state of mind more often than not as the pressures of the world have yet to “get to them”.

The path to creativity is through the prefrontal cortex. Any time there is doubt or even a hint of fear, lizard brain thinking prevents us from being in a creative mindset. Again, kids less that 3rd grade age are less likely to have developed there lizard brain which allows them to have spontaneous creativity.

skola2015

That´s a little bit of my thoughts. And Prof. Matti Bergströms, as well.

The standard form of education doesn´t support that idea. Do we decrease the kids potential of creativity with our educational system? Could we "hack" education?

raffaella

To me creativity is when instead of being stopped by imposing imervious doors of social convention and imposed rules, your mind flies creating new vision and discovering new paths

franca

Creative people is which is able to doubt...to establish unusual relationships between things and thoughts....and skola2015 I share the ideas of Ken Robinson about schools killing creativity and with the amazing Logan Laplante about hacking the education...we have a very big knowledge at the distance of a click...that has to be an educational revolution!!!!
I think we are all creative as well as we have a sense of humor...two important human features...and we are able to be creative only if we have the right conditions to be...about these I like very much the thoughts of John Cleese in his lecture on creativity...he remind us how to be creative.....

pjtaylor

Last fall, I explored the literature on creativity with some students and, dissatisfied with the emphasis on products and creative individuals, came to formulate a different picture (or set of pictures): http://wp.me/p1gwfa-yJ The short story:

I am suggesting a shift of emphasis... from novel and useful or adaptable products... to people engaging in the processes-in-context that supports creativity as processes-in-context. The measure of creativity in this sense is not the quantity or quality of products but your thinking-feeling, everyday or every moment, that it is no longer possible for yourself to simply continue along previous lines.

skola2015

Ken Robinson, one of my favorites and of course John Cleese. And they are so right. But why is "the school" a place that isn´t that creative? In Sweden we are getting more and more into National tests and grades and stuff. And an underground movement growing with; Coderdojo, makerspaces and so on. Why must we have afterschool activities for getting creative? In our curriculum creativity is mentioned, but let´s face it; as John Cleese said; Space, Time, Time. And school isn´t the most creative place. Most teachers would like to be, but the system takes the power out of them.

Sometimes when I come to a school "secondary? school" (age 13-16) I find a classroom, not soooo cosy, students in rows doing something on a paper. And they look so; not interested. But who is going to fix all the future challanges?

Sorry I got carried away. More LCL in school!

pjtaylor

On the issue of schools needing to be better at fostering creativity, I do not find denunciation of schools (exemplified by Ken Robinson) as very informative or helpful. If we want to change schools, would it be possible to be more inquiring about the circumstances and then creative about how to modify them? Of course, if you just want to somehow get all children out of schools, ignore this post.