This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Big Idea / Powerful Idea

CyberParra

Have you any example of the Papert's concept of Big Idea / Powerful Idea?

shari

Well, this is not my artwork, but it resonated with me so much with regard to learning...

pjtaylor

I wonder if this cartoon suggests exactly the wrong idea of creative learning. Yesterday I read an essay that chronicled 3 years of Darwin's 1837-1839 diaries as he worked his way very indirectly around but eventually towards the idea we now call natural selection as the mechanism of evolutionary change that can result in organisms adapted to their environment. In retrospect, Huxley (Darwin's younger colleague) could say "Why didn't I think of this!" -- natural selection is a Big and Powerful Idea. But retrospect is not how a person plays with projects and interacts with peers to come up with a big idea. Unless you think Darwin was an exception....

James_B

This is an exciting discussion to me already.

There are probably multiple ways to take the cartoon, especially given light wordplay seems to already be involved. Just this topic alone could be as fruitful a can of worms to open as Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken.

With creative learning, I feel as though the journey itself of pursuing a passion, knowledge or experience (as I take it, how one might be looking) adds immeasurable value and personal depth of understanding to the "end result" of a given truth (what one might end up seeing).