This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Cambridge, Massachusetts

Grif

We'll be hosting a live viewing/discussion during each of the six courses at the MIT Media Lab for any interested participants coming from the greater-Cambridge area.

We've booked room E14 240 at the Media Lab from 12:30-2:30 on each of the six Tuesdays and we encourage you to bring your lunch and get to know some of your co-learners. If you have any feedback, feel free to reply to this topic and let us know.

James_B

Thank you all for opening LCL up to the public even more.

Grif

@banneberg @circuitsmaximus: We have moved the Learning Creative Learning session from room 240 to E15-363 for this upcoming Tuesday the 25th. We'd love you to join us if you can!

banneberg

That would be great! Will mark it down in my calendar. Thanks for the opportunity to visit the Media Lab & LCL staff!

Maychos

Hey, hi! Is it the same time 12.30 to 2.30?
I might be late for a few minutes. Hope that's all right?

Grif

yes! @katherine @alishap @srishakatux will be there, I unfortunately am not returning to Cambridge until tomorrow evening but hope to see you during future weeks!

strin

Hello, everyone. I am an MIT student and find this course interesting. May I join in the middle?

Grif

yes you can absolutely join in the middle

Grif

@danbriles and I are planning a visit over the the clubhouse with Jackie, probably the week after next. Are there others who would be interested in joining?

danbriles

yep. Just putting myself in here to get replies.

jackiez

Woot woot. Happy to host.

katherine

I'd love to go! Looking forward to it.

banneberg

I would like to go and check out the Clubhouse too! thanks!

lgarmon

Calling on wood workers: For my final project, I'm tinkering with changes to the look of our local Scratch Day event, coming up on Saturday, May 17th.
We'd like to enhance the "fair" or "carnival" feel of our event, and make some open and cozy areas where kids can tinker. Among other projects, I'd like to construct table-top canopies (wood base, fabric top) to put on 6 foot tables to define spaces. I don't know how to work with wood at all, but I think I can get the basic pieces pre-cut at Home Depot. If someone can put them together for me, I could do the painting and take care of the finishing touches.

If anyone is looking for a final project and is interested in joining forces with me, I think some free MIT Scratch Day tickets could be in your future!!!! We could make the new Scratch Day look our joined project....

Contact me at lgarmon@media.mit.edu if you are interested. Linda Garmon

banneberg

Ill be happy to help build a carnival set for Scratch Day on May 17th!

lgarmon

Awesome! Let me know how best to reach you off the forum.

Here's my contact info:

lgarmon@media.mit.edu

617 324-7830

Grif

Here's a local event (tomorrow) that may interest some of you. Sorry for the late notice!

Questions: Hacking the Computer Clubhouse Learning Model for Classrooms
Join us Saturday May 10th 9-12noon at the Museum of Science for a morning of questioning an tinkering!

Back by popular demand!

Asking amazing questions is the driving force of scientific discovery — learners take ownership when they are the ones asking the questions and pursuing their interests. Using the Computer Clubhouse Learning approach, we will apply a hands-on model where learners tinker with questions through research, collaboration, and experimentation.

Co-led by a former Clubhouse coordinator and a current high school teacher, this workshop consists of a series of immersion activities that allow teachers to take on the role of active learners and explore how authentic questions can help drive student learning. Explore programs and practices built on the values of the do-it-yourself and maker movements, including tinkering, engineering, and tools such as Scratch, Makey Makey, and social media platforms. We'll share a question-based curriculum being piloted at the high school level, and discuss how this model may be adapted to other settings. Bring your curiosity and leave with more questions to ask!