This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Conceptual Tool - project draft for comments

KathyG

So as to (hopefully) get your comments on this, I'm reposting as a new topic in this week's discussion forum:

Here's the link to a discussion draft of a project-in-progress for a conceptual tool, a "Systems Dance Troupe:"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwR6Uymtc-cmaVBHTnN0MTdyM3M/edit?usp=sharing

Comments welcome!

ClairevR

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for sharing your draft conceptualisation tool. I have done something similar with children to visualise and enact the workings of a city. It was helpful for the children to have a 'menu' of operations / movements / meanings. We used projected images and maps of the city in question (London) to visualise and identify the elements of the system and to create the menu.
Having the menu supported their thinking about the 'construction' or 'coding' of the elements and interactions of the system (city) they where trying to recreate.

I like the idea of using an online environment to document the system decisions. It creates a usable record.

Thanks for your ideas!
Kindly,
Claire

KathyG

Thanks for this great practical example! Using the multimedia (projected images and maps) is an inspiration for the initial "imagine" part of the learning spiral. Whether the "menu" is provided or is created as part of the project would, I think, depend on the situation.

megapequeno

I really like your draft. I think it is a great idea to have students act out these concepts. I especially like the idea of using Who's on First as way to illustrate the confusion that can happen regarding symbolic/abstract modes of thought.

KathyG

I copied this thread into a new Dance STEAM thread under Ongoing Projects, so please post any new comments to the Dance STEAM thread.