This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Considerations for a library looking at RaspPi?

James_B

I am trying to recommend resources and things to consider from a library staff's perspective for a RaspPi they are getting. They are not familiar with RaspberryPi, but will have basic peripherals.

Tech is limited to one staff member, and they are wondering about space and other needs.

Do you have good recommendations for resources or advice?

Thanks for any help!

skola2015

Take a look at http://www.kano.me

There RPi OS is simple and with nice start up possibilities. Minecraft.

James_B

@skola2015

Thanks! That's a great resource. I'm also looking for good resources for a library's IS/IT to become familiar with, space and resource requirements, and anything else that might help a library orient with and plan for a RaspPi.

For the RaspPi's base station(s), I have given a few suggested ideas to get the wheels turning like a solo workstation, group area, and projector use.

If there is anything that helps equip libraries and schools like CCOW does for Scratch, that would be amazing. I am just a beginner with RaspPi myself so I want to make sure they get better advice than I can give.

Thanks for any help!

nglbrkr

what are you going to do with the Pi? If your idea is to use it as a general purpose computer, for research, etc. I wouldn't recommend that. You would be better off getting some old computera and putting linux on them. If you are going to use it to teach programming, hardware projects, etc. then the Pi is excellent.

James_B

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

This is for a library that is getting a RaspberryPi as part of an effort to create a maker-friendly environment.

They already have a computer lab with PC workstations, so no this would not be a general purpose computer.

They are still looking at ideas for main base stations, but I imagine will be staying open to other uses even when main base stations are planned and set up.

Some ideas include:

• personal RaspPi station (for Minecraft on Pi, etc.)
  • tie in to projector for presentations and group classes with/about RaspPi
  • group area for advanced projects such as robotics with RaspPi
  • etc.

What I am trying to help equip them with are better resources for things such as IS/IT considerations and other items a library might need to know to better plan for a RaspPi. These suggestions so far are great, helpful, and appreciated, but the library and myself are already aware of what a RaspPi can do. We are looking for any resources that might help a library plan better since 1. I am not a librarian or a tech with a background in libraries and 2. They are not familiar with RaspPi, including their tech department.

I'm having trouble finding any kind of mostly-all-in-one or better resource for libraries looking at RaspPi. If there isn't anything out there yet, or like I said earlier something similar to what CCOW provides for Scratch, maybe we can put something together.