This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Different online learning environments

James_B

Feel free to join in the conversation, this is continuing the discussion from Introduce Yourself:

@karenbudde,

Well, paint my thoughts a priori and call them a posteriori! You teach Latin using Moodle? How cool is that!

Moodle is one of my favorite environments. As an undergrad, I managed to annoy a couple professors with a tendency I had for a duration where I made Moodle a topic of focus in assignments at every opportunity. Undergrad psych class assignment? No problem! Explore the topic of research psychology for educational technology design so I can plug my favorite OER. Undergrad finance class assignment? No problem! Talk about costs of implementation and maintenance for educational IT so I can go on about my preferred poison of proficiency pursuit.

There are a lot of really cool modules for Moodle out there to help enhance features. I have to say they do a great job with chats and discussion forums. I bet VTVLC gets every drop of best use out of it all.

I keep trying to get over to the Annual Moodle Research Conference but I have a lot going on that time of the year. The first was held in Crete-Greece a couple years ago and looked like it was extremely fun, informative, and all-around productive. I've lost track since but I imagine they still host it in Greece.

You may see more and more of the effects of those conferences as time goes by, especially with a large cooperative that seems to stay updated as VTVLC. The Moodle Research Conferences have always placed a high focus on posters and presentations addressing accessibility and interoperability. Things may only get easier and better with Moodle, especially when working alongside other technologies.

It's good to hear VTVLC helps students with pacing issues. One of the biggest takeaways I got out of my short experience with the Montessori method as a child is how critical it can be in how a learner's pace is addressed and encouraged.

I'm not sure how lively a thread just about Moodle will be. I'm probably one of their biggest, loudest, most annoying fans. I also like other learning environments, though.

All,

Do you have a favorite online learning environment?

Have you had experience with Moodle or special Moodle modules?

What are important features and functions that you feel an all-inclusive online learning environment should have?

karenbudde

My only other experiences were with Brainhoney and Middlebury Interactive. I do not tend to pick favorites. I do not know about special Moodle modules. I need to go to a conference but Greece might be too far.

I think the quick feedback from assignments and quizzes is critical. The discussion forums and chats for collaboration a must. You?

James_B

I should probably take your lead and strive not to pick favorites, either. I really can't even explain why I like Moodle so much. It might have something to do with the fact that it was the first online environment I got to tinker around with using my own install. That actually probably has a lot to do with it, now that I think about it. But I am generally influenced to like any environment that has a big database of add-on modules and modifications by community. VTVLC might already use some custom stuff from the community database with their Moodle.

I like that stuff, I also like easy embed features and video chats. I think there's a lot to think about on assessment end and a lot to think about on interface end. I especially like versatility in grading options such as sliding scale.

I've seen some other environments that have a lot of things in common. I have never tried either of those, thanks for pointing me to them.

Also, I probably should say that LCL is definitely a favorite. It's very true, and I don't want to come off as unappreciative of what going on here. However, we haven't really used full environments for LCL like we are talking about, so far it has been a combination of tools and resources with more specialized functions (Discourse for forums, YouTube for live video chats, etc).