This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Educational video games

James_B

Something that I am very interested in is educational video game design.

Do you make educational video games, or help out in places like Scratch's Educator portal?

Do you have any ideas about what good design means to you for STEAM-friendly video games?

Any thoughts on educational and engagement value when a learner is helping to make their own video game about another topic they are studying versus values for the learner playing the finished video game?

I am interested in looking at ways of tying different video games in with different educational topics, and am especially interested in ways of designing smart games that can adjust tone and content based on learner's skill level and topic. Also interested in educational video games that can cause and be affected by events in the real world (when using MaKey to control a game with unique invention, games that can cause 3D printers to print achievement tokens, etc).

I am working on some games as longterm projects right now that serve as homework games families can play together, and am also very early into a slow design of an open source educational arcade cabinet. Let me know in here or in private if you would be interested in collaborating on either to help speed up and expand the development, I would welcome collaboration.

Any other thoughts on educational video games?