This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Game On! Arcade

Sandy

Just wanted to report back about an event I had this last week in my lab for parents and students. I held a showcase of my 5th & 4th grade's Scratch projects. I open up my lab from 5pm-7pm, and invited students and parents to come out to play Scratch games & view About Me projects created by my students. I created 2 collaborative Scratch projects (Dance Parties) for that evening as well. The first project, MES Dance Party, featured faculty from my school and played on my Smartboard the entire evening. Both the students and the parents got a real kick out of seeing some familiar faces dancing together and it provided them with motivation to contribute to the second project. The second project, MES Art Showcase Dance Party, was open on a workstation and I was their to assist parents and my younger students to make a sprite and program that sprite to do something. My 4th and 5th graders who are now very familiar with Scratch where excited to assist to teach their parents and help their parents code a sprite. All and all it was a great success.
Here are a few pictures from the evening: