This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

LCL Scratchers (help and study group)

James_B

Continuing the discussion from Introduce Yourself:

@debbyj18

I've had bits of trouble myself along the way with Scratch. Sometimes, I might be experimenting with a new function I have not explored much yet and find myself obstructed from getting a desired result. Other times, I might try some code that I think should work fine and I get unexpected results. Sometimes, I can track down the culprit code but other times seem more difficult. And still other times I simply do not have any idea on where to begin with code to get a desired result.

From past LCL Scratch albums, I know everyone participating explores Scratch in different ways so it stands to reason we would all have different experiences. Maybe discussion and collaboration about different ways of doing things in Scratch will be useful.

Is anything specific tripping up anyone in Scratch? Do you have any code you would like to share that addresses a specific type of desired effect in Scratch?

I don't know if this is a good thread to have here or elsewhere if at all, but it seems potentially reasonable.

blush

Also, check out @CyberParra 's resource thread for Scratch:

debbyj18

After several attempts I stepped away from Scratch. I wonder if there's a group out there that would want to do a how-to-scratch step by step hang out. I learn best when I learn with others and watch how others try things - and can get immediate help when I get stuck

James_B

@debbyj18

That's a really fun idea! I would be interested for sure! There's no telling what they will have planned for the LCL Hangout the week that seems to focus more on Scratch, but we could surely dive in of our own accord. We could try a one-time deal, or do something recurring that covers basic projects like the different Scratch cards and specific desired effects people are trying to accomplish.

What do you think?