This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

LCL1, Session 2: Interest-based Learning

xcriteria

I got a lot out of this video from last year's LCL... and I'm interested thoughts on it from people here (whether you've seen it before or not.)

Joi Ito's explanation of his experiences with school really resonated with me, and I found the contrast with his sister, Mimi Ito's experience with school very interesting. (They get into this around (16:18) in the video.)

That contrast parallels what I've seen many times... some people really, truly, just don't learn effectively in school and college... while others seem to do just fine, and often can't even imagine why anyone else would have a problem with it.

Since most people in education probably did well in it (at least well enough to get their degrees), that leaves a gap in the conversation about how education should work. And, I think this session 2 provides an interesting bridge into further discussion.

This G+ thread shared by Roz Hussin has some more follow-up conversation (I'm Brendan Storming on G+.)

https://plus.google.com/117219403239374562288/posts/H8ZTsiSJB9y

One of the points I raised in the comments there is how the YouTube comments for the video had some negative remarks... some saw this video as "boring," containing merely "anecotes," and not being relevant to teaching in the classroom.

That happens to be one of the problems with anyone telling their stories about how school doesn't work for them: those stories, even millions of them, tend not to translate into "practical advice" teachers can use in their classrooms. Even more so, for learners who simply can't learn one subject at a time, but need to connect things together into an overall understanding.

Most educators, and even many in the general public, are familiar with the concept of "multiple intelligences" or various other systems of assessing learning styles. But, it remains impossible, in most cases, for a student to say "I don't learn this way" and have a conversation, and changes in their education, follow from that. (When it does, it's generally based on disorder labels, rather than more positive views of individual differences.)

So, thoughts on that? Any other takeaways from the above video?