This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Next Generation MOOC

Sasan

Next Generation MOOC

It is obvious that mooc will grow very fast and we will have alot of peers
in future, BUT what will be the next generation of mooc looks likes?
We could collect all answers with strong resources to form a publication or
maybe add something to P2PU in future or making a new prototype and a startup,
Depends on you...

A)
1. a) So what is next mooc look like:

• In smart devices?

• Combined with wearable technology?

• Even more realastic with Tangible interfaces and Augmented reality?

• What is next P or next criterion we could add to it?

1. b) In what devices it could be used and mooc uses what kinds of devices in future?
      How could we make more interaction through mooc?

2. Could we use MOOC inversly (Universities Learn from People)

3. Faster mooc, Better mooc , more accessible mooc, how make it possible?

4. MOOC + actual classes ? (Could we make BS, MS,.. out of mooc to make actual
      credit)

B) Technology / culture / politic / religion/ ethics ISSUES

I. What are the impacts of mooc in tech in future

II. How could mooc teach all cultures, while holding a unity of different colors (Interdicipline)

III. how could mooc make more peacful political sides

IV. what kind of ethical issues in future of mooc we should consider

V. Does mooc overlap with religion and blieves of the people?

sabnisadi

Hey,

This is a topic close to my heart as well . I've been tinkering around the web and there is this website/start up that helped me sign up a few of the kids I'm mentoring to a MOOCs to degree program. This is only available in India. But it is something that can be replicated.

Apart from that , I would love to see and ( if possible ) work with involving wearable technology with MOOCs as well.

Would love to help form or form anything in this sphere !

pjtaylor

The P2PU course on Science in a Changing World is something going on now that is in the spirit of your next generation MOOCs (but not the scale) -- see https://p2pu.org/en/courses/1208/science-in-a-changing-world/ or http://collabex.wikispaces.com

karenharris9996

Yes. Well itemized list of brainstorm MOOC next gen.

I wonder what will be the 'assessment' and/or 'label'. As in, if I am looking to hire someone, and they share their MOOC experiences vs. a recent college grad, how will I compare the two? How will the two 'labels' merge? How will geographic location be tied in?

Sasan

It is great to hear that they took MOOC seriously, I believe it will change things for good,
I think one of the pioneering wearable technologies is GoogleGlass, which I think it is possible to start an App for it, and it would be a great idea if we could design an App for Google Glass that supports MOOC
+About designing App -- It is somehow same as android with some differences you need to have GDK (Glass development Kit) as an extension to Android SDK,+
Or there are many other wearable technologies are coming I think sensory fiction is one of the other on which could be great help in MOOC see this: http://vimeo.com/84412874

Sasan

Thanks, Congrats Peter If I am not mistaken you are the organizer of the course, I loved the system of the scheduling of it, could expand on Case system, it is stated that it is based on Case and you could take individual case, what are the cases?

Sasan

Thanks @karenharris9996, you are exactly to the point, The difference should be clear someone with MOOC degree Vs. Some college grad when you want to hire someone,
well I believe that MOOC now offering single courses, however Coursera brought something called specialization which I think would be changing the direction a bit more seriously, but still I think we ought to separate them till we can have whole degree in a MOOC from those college grad,

Because in a specific discipline you need to know different subject for example someone in Computer Science need both programming and math

My experience with MOOC was that, most of the time I learned so much even more than that I have learned in university, because you see the videos as much as you like with same quality every time, another issue is that everyone taking a mooc is kind of Interest-Based learner (Which we could add Passion as one of the P's in here) they take MOOC merely because they like the subject or they willing to learn it but in actual classes I saw a lot of students does not interested in the topic but taking classes to pass credits, and this issue also affect the peer based learning, in MOOC I believe you could have more professional and interested peers which will help so much more, another difference is that they do not have direct connection with instructor in MOOC and you may see it as setback for MOOC

And as of geographical location that you mentioned, I believe technology today has tighten the distances and anyone could have video conference together that fulfill the face to face interaction,
The only thing that is important and I believe we should deal with in future is the physical space that I think is pretty important and effective, but thanks to Tangible User Interfaces and Augmented Reality technologies, they might eliminate these, and I hope we will overcome this as well.

Thanks for reading my reply.

pjtaylor

Thanks for your appreciative interest. The cases are given at https://p2pu.org/en/courses/1208/content/2702/

xcriteria

Are you all familiar with the distinction between xMOOCs and cMOOCs (connectivist MOOCs?)

Not every MOOC or learning community fits neatly into one of those categories, but it's a useful distinction to think about.

xMOOCs are basically those built as massively-scalable versions of traditional lecture-quiz-exam courses. Most of the courses on Coursera, edX, and so on fit into that category.

cMOOCs, or connectivist MOOCs, on the other hand, are usually smaller and based more on conversation and networking than on large amounts of content like lecture videos and readings. They usually have some structure like weekly topics, and some basic things to view and read, but participants are expected to interact and often create things, rather than just watch-absorb-demonstrate-on-a-test as in content-heavy MOOCs.

LCL2 is certainly of the cMOOC variety.

Here's a longer article on the topic:
The Ultimate Student Guide to xMOOCs and cMOOCs

What do you all think of that distinction? Which combinations of these features do you envision in next generation moocs?

Also, another thing to ponder... how might MOOCs and related forms of online learning apply to transforming traditional graduate education, like in law, medicine, business, and education? As in... both result in equivalent/better learning experiences, and result in some of the same kinds of credibility?

Sasan

Great article @xcriteria I really enjoyed, one of the point I took it as name mechanical mooc instead of cMOOC before read this,

Well, about next generation MOOC, as also stated in the article there is no better MOOC in here,
I believe that it is depend on the type of the course you want to provide, if the the course needs to present a lot of new information that is prerequisite for some more important knowledge I think xMOOC going to be a good choice,
and where you have some theories that required interactivity and so much of group work then cMOOC going to be better
example: I think Math is better to be learned in xMOOC, because you have a lot of formula then you will use it in engineering courses and courses on art and creativity or for instance international relations that you need to changing ideas and have some debates cMOOC works well
By and large I think for next generation we should use them depends on topic and according to our purpose.

You mentioned graduate education, which I think is a great point to consider in here, because I believe most MOOC subjects are somehow revolves around undergraduate (sometimes a bit more professional..or not), but generally I believe that a new path for graduate student should be allocated because most weigh of graduate study is on research work so it is going to be totally different thing than only taking courses, but probably the one that increases the interaction of users in the environment you mentioned cMOOC going to be better choice for graduate studies.

1L2P

Assessment and evaluation are topics that often come up. I am hopeful that increasigly learners will be able to tell stories about themselves, and the things they care about, by sharing the projects they have worked on. Digital technology makes it easier to document our accomplishments, but not enough schools and university encourage their students to build personal websites. At the Media Lab (an outlier, but nevertheless) we pay a lot more attention to students' portfolios than to their grades. Tests and grades are such huge simplifications of a person's personality and interests that I hope we can gradually move away from them.

KathyG

Just came across this fascinating talk about MOOCs by Jeff Young, author of Beyond the MOOC Hype, (a book I have not read), which covers a lot of ground about the rise and possible future of MOOCs. Approximately the second half of the video is excellent Q&A with the diverse and heavily-credentialed audience.
In answer to a question around 40-45 minutes in the video, Young briefly mentions LCL but only in the context of an example of experiments to meet the desire for "online portfolios" for students / job searchers.
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2014/04/young

karenharris9996

After reading Gladwell's Outliers my question was:

Would the current state of America's education be drastically different if we switched the focus of test driven assessment from convergence tests to divergence tests? (pick the right answer from the multiple choice vs. create and explain as many uses for item _______ as you can think of)

Sasan

I agree with you Phillip,
some days ago I was thinking about learning new language, and not only languages but many of other topics such as law or humanities, how does people come up the 4Ps or how would they apply 4Ps in their education