This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Scratch and learning objectives

natalie

I'm interested to hear the types of learning objectives you're particularly interested in, as Scratch can be used to support a variety of concepts and practices (for example, developing persistence and problem-solving skills; learning to create dynamic models of concepts from other subject areas--or for specific computational and math concepts, such as x-y coordinates or variables).

I wonder if you've seen the ScratchEd site, which includes a range of resources, including educators' stories and a draft curriculum guide? Also, as part of a creative computing online workshop they hosted last spring, they posted a series of Scratch nuts and bolts videos.

Interested to hear your thoughts and suggestions...

CyberParra

@Vivian
As Natalie said you can find al lot of resources in the links she posted.

Here is just an example of learning object. Using this scratch project challenge, teachers and educators can provide their students a more engaging way to study the Ohm Law (or at least is what I guess)

Series Circuit Simulation Challenge

CyberParra

Here is another LO example (click on the picture to see the scratch project)
You can create your own LO depending on your needs, maybe remixing others LO or creating from zero. Students can help / collaborate / be the maker/ of LOs

>

Vivian

@CyberParra @natalie Thanks for all these links. I will take a look at them. The curriculum guide will be helpful.

Has anyone thought of creating a lesson-plan data base where teachers could submit in their ideas?

James_B

Here's a Scratch project I made specifically about CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.1.1.E (1st grade verb tense recognition for Common Core in the US):

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/19773924/

I tried to set it up so that educators and learners could set up their own scenes based on interests, but I included a few sample scenes.

This works with just a keyboard, but can also work with MaKey MaKey and includes build instructions for an example MaKey MaKey invention (time travel wand) to control the study/review game. I also tried to set this part up so that it could be easily changed and experimented with.

Vivian

Thanks! I actually came by this Scratch project and favourited it before you mentioned it. It was a link on the right hand sidebar on the page about the circuits.

Seeing these teacher created activities also helps me see the possibilities...

maperez324

I was using Scratch for Math class with 5th graders. The content was angles in polygons. I asked students to draw from squares to hexagons and later circles. But I never explain them theoretics about the sum of the angles. Then they disccover and build the idea of a polygon sum of internal angles.

The idea is to challenge students to draw and compare the procedures they used to build the polygons and then discuss the theoretics (the axiom of the polygons internal angles sum)