This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

The 4Ps in Adult Learning (and an addition)

Norfolkboy

I've written my last blog for the course with my thoughts on Learning Creative Learning and how it might apply to adult learning. Perhaps a little cheekily I have proposed a fifth P that works well with the ideas of adult learning.

All thoughts/comments are welcome.

http://learningcreativelearning1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/learning-creative-learning-adult.html

clm

I enjoyed your blog post. As a children's museum educator and an advocate for engaging adults in play and creativity, the part that intrigued me the most was the discussion of play. I think play does often get maligned as "frivolous," as you suggested might be the perception of some adults.

Here's an alternate perspective that might help offset that view. It's from an educational guide on play that I wrote for our museum recently:

"Play is 'a set of behaviors that is freely chosen, personally directed and intrinsically motivated,' according to playworker Penny Wilson. A hallmark of play is active involvement with a focus on process, not outcome, leading to deep engagement and 'flow.' Play is often joyful, spontaneous, and imaginative. Play is not an alternative to work or learning but “a special mode of thinking and doing.'

In the 21st century, as the world changes at an exponential pace, play is coming to be recognized as an essential tool for children and adults. In the words of Douglas Thomas and John Seely Brown: 'Play is the way that children manage new, unexpected and changing conditions, exactly the situation we now all face in the fast-paced world of the 21st century. Play [is] —a key disposition for succeeding in the 21st century.' Adults, too, benefit from play’s impact on creativity, adaptability, problem solving, and from the stress relief and joy it provides. Play researcher Stuart Brown states: 'The thing that is so unique about our species is that we’re really designed to play throughout our whole lifetime.'"

While it's contrary to many people's understanding of play, I would argue that play is not solely the domain of children but is also an essential part of adulthood. It is absolutely possible to be highly playful and to retain your identity as an adult. Perhaps it's just a matter of broadening our understanding of what play is and what it looks like for adults?

Teryl

Thanks, how fun to post and then read yours which said things even better!

geraldiux64

Hello!I usually work with youg adults or adults they really like playing and I consider that students will love tinkering ,they will feel less stressed and relaxed while learning.