This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Tinkering with formal early education models using the 4P’s

engineeringplay

I haven’t been able to actively participate in as much of the course as I would have liked due to timing, but I am catching up. I wanted to share how we are tinkering with traditional early education using the Media Lab approach, and see how others may be using this in their schools as well. Heavily influenced by LCL1, as well as other forms of non traditional approaches to education represented by some of the speakers, my wife and I, who are both administrators at a small early learning center in Miami Florida, began a project we called Play Make Share (http://remlearningcenter/playmakeshare). The 4P’s that have been the central focus of the Media Lab’s approach to creative learning as well as the framework for how this course has been organized, does an excellent job of capturing the processes essential for optimal lifelong learning. We believe that the most efficient developmental level to begin to construct these habits of mind is at an early age (beginning in Pre K). To help achieve this we have transformed one of our classrooms into a makerspace/tinkering studio. From our experience creating opportunities for children to engage in these processes, both within a formal classroom environment, and within the separate studio space, we have found that the children respond better to the informal studio space. Because of this we have been taking the approach that we need more informal learning environments within formal educational settings. In the same way that playground time/ outdoor play is essential for children’s development (at least for the age group that we work with), and the equipment/ settings required for this to take place would be difficult to incorporate into a formal classroom (i.e. you need space to run, and equipment to climb on), it is becoming more apparent to us that children benefit from the learning environment of the studio and need to be given time and space for their imaginations to run, and non traditional equipment to build and tinker with. As Mike Petrich, Karen Wilkinson, and Brownwyn Bevan of the Tinkering Studio at the Exploratorium pointed out in chapter 5 of “Design Make Play” “he learning in the space truly seems to be inspired and informed by the setting. Given that spaces like these introduce children to a range of disciplines from art, to science, to music, to computer science they can serve as incubators within formal learning environments that ignite a spark which can then be further fanned into a flame outside the formal learning environment by specialty lessons, after school programs, camps and tutors. We also feel that the learning which takes place during these hands-on experiences goes beyond the academics and domain skills that are currently taught within a formal classroom. In this project we create opportunities and environments for children to engage in purposeful and creative play. This type of play typically evolves into two different opportunities to engage with peers. Many times, play becomes more complex and elaborate, which naturally invites others to join in, collaborate, create stories, and “share” experiences. Other times, this creative play then leads to projects the child becomes passionate about and spends time on, which they can then share and discuss with their peers and learn from feedback. This is how Play Make Share is incorporating the 4P’s any feedback is welcomed.