This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Trash Toys For Learning

CyberParra

Is the project I'm working on and I will intend to present at the next Maker Faire in Rome (European edition october 3/5 2014),

Trash Toys For Learning (TT4L) are educational objects that allow kids/student/people to explore and experiment with science, technology and art. Building these Trash Toy is a way to support the creative learning, and to support the constructionist approach to education. As Seymour Papert argued, the activity of making things provides a rich context for learning.

Trash Toys are the best way to create "tunnels" among digital world and physical world. For instance you can integrate your toy with Scatch via Makey Makey, or with Arduino board

See the Trash Toys for Learning infographic

My idea is to create different kinds of TT4L that can serve to teach/learn differents topics. In this way Trash Toys can be part of an educational program, based on the spiral process of: projecting, making, playing, sharing, reflecting and so on.

See Trash Toys presentations

I invite you to
- suggest ways to use TT4L in different learning topics
- suggest TT4L to build
- implement the use of TT4L and to share your experiences

I look forward to see comments and suggestions