This site is now an archive. For the current version of LCL, please visit learn.media.mit.edu/lcl.

Videos: Passion

natalie

Note: This is an old post. Watch the videos in the current forum here.

Here are the videos for this week on passion. (For those who cannot view Youtube, here are the downloadable video files.) We're defining interests broadly, as Mimi suggests in video clip 7.

Video 1: Intro to week 3

Video 2: Passion and learning

Video 3: Tour a Computer Clubhouse

Video 4: Jaleesa's experience at the Clubhouse

Video 5: How do you support interest-based learning?

Video 6: Activity for week 3

Video 7: Optional : Mimi Ito on Relevance

natalie

The downloadable videos are posted here:

geraldiux64

Hi!Natalie Thanks so much .I was frustated because I couldn´t connect but anyway I´m happy to watch videos

pjtaylor

This Old (computer club) House! The video on the computer clubhouse was almost perfectly in the style of This Old House -- and a great evocation of what goes on at the clubhouse -- kudos (and thanks) to all who made it possible.

natalie

Ha! I like your description and analogy, @pjtaylor . (Spent many hours adding in the photos, so particularly appreciate you writing this.) Reminds me of our discussion last year on sources of feedback--from the materials/project itself and from others' perspectives.

pjtaylor

our discussion last year on sources of feedback--from the materials/project itself and from others' perspectives

Natalie is referring to her comment on this thread, https://plus.google.com/+petertaylorip/posts/NyAhrY9jKeo

"What I understood Peter to be asking me was if and how students exploring and putting together a project based on written texts differed from exploring and making with physical materials. I found it an interesting question. In my followup email to him I wrote:
I was thinking more about the use of materials, and one thing about materials is that they provide feedback themselves about what you are trying to create. You get feedback from the physical world about whether what you're trying to build or program is doing what you intended. Whereas some people keep writing without changing their course--unless they're in a more social structure where people are also interested and in dialogue."

Being reminded of this exchange feeds into some thinking I'm doing about meta-Projects in MOOCs and how much Play can be accommodated in a c-MOOC without undermining the content that the teachers have worked hard (as a Project for themselves) to convey. Let's see if I can make time to compose that thinking into a later post.

Grif